Chateau de Fortis was built in 1649, and most of its original ornamentation still remains intact. It was later acquired by the family Rossignol, as it is known in guidebooks and histories by its formal name: Chateau de Fortis ou Rossignol. The chateau's first major restoration occured from 1850 to 1880. Over the past fifteen years more recent restorations took place which included upgraded plumbing, electricity, and central heating. The chateau's 1230 sq. meters (13,000 sq. ft.) of living space that is presently restored is characterized by its light and airy nature, with large volumes and high ceilings. Approximately 450 sq. meters (5,000 sq. ft.) has not yet been restored, these areas include the chateau's main formal entrance and staircase, the Chapel, and several medieval cellars.